Hey everyone, welcome back to Bionic Bug podcast! You’re listening to episode 10. This is your host Natasha Bajema, fiction author, futurist, and national security expert. I’m recording this episode on June 24, 2018.
I’m going to keep this episode short today since I’ve run out of hosting space for the month due to my special interview earlier in June. However, I do have a few interesting headlines for you this week.
If you’re enjoying the show, please leave a review on iTunes. You can also support my time and costs of producing in show for only a few dollars a month, please go to www.patreon.com– p a t r e o n / natashabajema
Let’s talk tech.
- “3D Printing and 3D Scanning Experts Crack the Ocean’s 8 Diamond Necklace Heist”
- Published on June 20, 2018 at 3Dprintingindustry.com
- I haven’t seen the movie Ocean’s 8 yet, but after finding out that the thieves use 3D printers and scanners to support their con, I’m even more interested.
- In this article, experts talk about what aspects of the ploy were realistic and what could actually be done using a 3D scanner and printer
- “Experts Bet on First Deepfakes Political Scandal”
- Published on June 22, 2018 at IEEE Spectrum Magazine
- I talked a bit about the issue of my concern about deepfakes last week.
- Deepfakes refer to videos of real people saying or doing things that appear 100% authentic, but the video is faked using deep learning technology, which is a type of Artificial Intelligence
- In this article, experts are betting on some sort of deep fake political during the 2018 elections. The bet is that a Deepfake video about a political candidate will receive more than 2 million views before it gets debunked. They predict this will happen by the end of 2018.
- To help counter the threat, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has funded a Media Forensics project aimed at finding ways to automatically screen for Deepfake videos and similarly deceptive examples of digital media.
- Let’s turn to Bionic Bug. Last time, Lara met up with her ex-boyfriend and FBI Special Agent, Rob Martin. She asked him about removing the illegal bugs from Sully’s townhouse and peppered him with questions about KillerBot. When she leaves the coffee shop, a bionic bug lands on her shoulder to deliver an ominous message: “Meet me at the National Cryptologic Museum. Let’s find out what happens next.
The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the National Defense University, the Department of Defense or the U.S. Government.